How do I create a Credit Note?
This is step-by-step guide to creating a credit note. If a mistake was made on an invoice that was already sent to the customer, a credit note may be issued, which credits the full or partial amount added on the invoice. With Tradeshift you can either create a credit note based on the invoice you have sent, or create a credit note separately, but both need to contain a reference to the invoice or invoices that it affects.
Follow the steps below to create a credit note from a sent invoice:
- Access the Document Manager app via the sidebar. If the Document Manager app is not in the sidebar, click on All apps and search for Document Manager.
- Search for the invoice you wish to attach a credit note to using the search bar.
- Click on the three dots on the invoice line to open the side menu.
- Click on the Create credit note option.
The Create page will open, with the credit note having all the lines from the invoice already filled in. You may choose any number for the Credit Note Number, but please make sure the invoice number references the correct one. If you only need to credit part of the invoice, you can amend and delete the lines that are not needed. Choose Send at the bottom right-hand corner of the page to send the credit note once done.
You can also choose to create a credit note directly from the invoice itself, by choosing to access the Options tab.
Follow the steps below to create a credit note separately:
- Click on the Create app in the sidebar.
- Select Create Credit Note from the list of documents.
- Fill in the credit note details:
- Search for the recipient by filling in the company name or e-mail address in the search bar. If the recipient is not found, you can add an e-mail connection by choosing add another contact.
- Fill in the Credit note number
- Issue date
- Specify which invoice this credit note is sent against in the Invoice number field
- (Optional) Add any relevant optional fields
- Complete the credit note line items:
- Item ID
- Price per unit
- To add multiple items, click on the Add New Line button.
- To add a discount, a separate tax charge or a fixed tax, click on the Add header charge, discount or tax option.
- Click on the Show base quantity option to change the Price per unit column to Price per quantity.
- To add a message to the recipient, fill in the free-text Write a message to the recipient box. You can choose to save this message for future credit notes by ticking the Save notes for future Credit Notes box.
- To add additional documentation such as a PDF invoice copy or a spreadsheet, click on the Attachments option to upload files.
- Click on the Add footer notes option to add more information. Footer notes are populated with your company profile information by default, but you can choose to edit and save the new note for future credit notes.
- Clicking Discard will discard the credit note you are working on.
- Clicking Save as draft will save the credit note in the Document Manager app, and you can choose to edit and send at a later time.
- Clicking Preview will allow to see the credit note before sending.
- Clicking Send will send the credit note to the recipient.
0 people found this helpful.